Kümbet, Tomb of Solon with lion facade
Above is a map of the region with 15 of the main archaeological sites in the surroundings of Midas Han. To get an impression: click on the red numbers in the map (not in the list): a photo will appear. (However there are many more sites in the region not shown in this map).
The region between Eskişehir, Afyon and Kütahya, called ‘the Phrygian Highlands’, was part of the Phrygian Kingdom from about 1200 BC and the name lasted till the end of the Byzantine period. The capital was Gordion near Polatlı. The most famous kings were Gordias (the Gordian Knot) and Midas (everything he toughed turned into gold and he had donkey ears). The largest archaeological site is Midasşehir, the holy center of the Phrygians mother-goddess Kybele.. Midasşehir is next to the modern village of Yazılıkaya, which is about 4km south of the Midas Han in Ç ukurca Köy. In the surrounding of Midas Han are a number of fortified hilltops (e.g. Doğanlı Kale, Akpara Kale, Pişmiş Kale, Gökgöz Kale, Koçabaş Kale), rock cut-tombs (e.g. Gerdekkaya Hamamkaya, Şukranli Köy), Phrygian rock-facades and shaft-munuments(e.g. Areyastis monuments; the Midas Monument, Maltaş, Berbirini facade and the Bahşeyiş Monument), At bit farther away are chapels and churches (e.g. the Berbirini church, the complexes of Ayazin and Kirkinler), the fortified hilltops of (e.g. Yapıldak Asar Kale, Kümbet Asar Kale, Avdalaz Kale and Demirli Kale), Phrygian and Roman rock-tombs at Yapıldak, Aslantaş, Yilantaş, the so-called underground city at Han, the Battalgazı Külliyesi at Seyitgazi, the lion-facaded tomb and the Selçuk Türbe at Kümbet and the Türbe complex at Aslanbeylı.